Wednesday, December 12, 2007

where's the disconnect and when is it occuring?

if you ask any kid (or think back to when you were little) what he wants to be when he grows up, you will get an assortment of answers. the underlying connection between all responses is that a certain joy or feeling of success (i.e. - wealth or prestige) is implicit with the desired career. before continuing, i want to note that (and i would put money on this) all responses will represent career fields and not simply jobs. so, where is the disconnect in making sure we prepare our young people to make sure they position themselves to be successful and realize these career goals? or, is the whole exercise of asking them to think about this question in the first place purposeless? (do kids even get asked this question anymore???.....that's a really scary thought. not sure i want to know the answer to that one)

my point is not to get into a blame game, but i wanted to spark some thought into thinking about when these aspirations go out the window for people. because really, nobody says i want to be a when i grow up. the "american dream (or gangster)" pushes us towards attaining a certain level of income to be able to provide for our families and "escape" any poverty or negativity we experienced growing up. where do happiness and fulfillment come into this equation? do they take a backseat if i can make more money being miserable?

i know i am all over the place here (and definitely not finished). let me think a little bit more about where i want to go and i will come back and finish this post.

4 Comments:

Blogger oronde ash said...

i wanted to be a preacher or a pilot. i was less than 6 yrs old then. when i got to america, from age 9-17, i just wanted to be happy with myself when i grew up. seriously. and a writer perhaps. these days i'm trying to show my growth into black manhood. too few read today, so images are attached to the words here http://youtube.com/bygINCpresents. come by and let me know what you think.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Sleeperwithheavyeyes said...

I think a big part of the problem is that kids are not really shown how to get what they want, or that even that its attainable. When your dreams seem beyond your reach you settle for the next best thing, and dreams deferred have the unfortunate habit of exploding

2:54 AM  
Blogger Grad007 said...

When I was five, one task at my school was to paint a lifesize picture of oneself as a grown-up worker. By lifesize, I mean the height of a five year old, so we were effectively painting our future selves as mirror images. The children's paintings were used to decorate the school's buildings.

One day, a teacher asked me to show him my painting. So I took him to the technicolor painting of myself as a jockey.

"You can't be a jockey", he said (in the early 1980s).

"Why not?"

"There are no women jockeys."

Five-year-old me realised that I needed a new career direction. I (silently) decided to become an astronaut. Only a few years ago did I realise that I don't have the requisite citizenship to work for any space agency.

Now I'm looking at other areas of work which didn't exist when I was at school.

10:28 AM  
Blogger All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

the disconnect in my view is the louction of following the leader, media influence and poor rumination skills

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home